GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Let's be honest here...

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God & His righteousness...

It has taken me a lot of years & a lot of heartache to work my way backward from the pious platitudes of organised religion to the place that I should have begun. It's not like I wasn't told. I ran into Quakerism when I was about 10 ~ & no, this is not a denominational push. What Quakerism told me was exactly what the bible told me if only I had had the ears to hear & the eyes to see: relationship is always experiential. Religion got in the way.

The first job of any Christian is to build a relationship with God. Like other institutions churches have their lists for achieving this: daily quiet time; daily bible reading; prayer; good works; absenteeism; tithing; weekly church attendance & obligatory attendance at the mid~week prayer group & bible study...they might vary a bit from church to church or in application but the lists are pretty standard. They're a bit like the quick & easy plan to salvation: pray the sinner's prayer & ask Jesus to come into your heart. Don't get me started on that one! The awful part is that those well meaning lists are almost right. Almost. Not quite. They list the things that grow out of relationship. Churches do not make it easy or really help someone when they first come to God & are seeking to find out how to build a relationship with Him.

Prayer is nothing but drudgery when you do not know how to pray ~ or what to expect. The number of Christians I've watched lurch into prayer arrogantly battering at heaven's gates without preparing the heart, without quietness, without considering that however desperate we feel our needs are God already knows all about it; it is rude when what we should be doing first is seeking God alone, simply & purely for Himself, nothing else. There is a time & a place for all the other things that prayer is but primarily it is about fellowship.

Look at it this way. The people who drive me battiest are the ones who think conversation is a monologue. I am ashamed to admit I run from encounters with such people. I have been known to ask my children to hide me, to cross streets to avoid them & occasionally even decide to catch a later boat rather than risk being bailed up for 1/2 an hour with no possible chance of escape while my eardrums are battered incessantly by someone with no vision outside of themselves. And I have been guilty of this in my relationship with God! Ugh! I can be so ugly.

Most of my really good friendships are with people I rarely see. Catching up with them is a delight to be anticipated for weeks in advance. I save up antidotes, choice bits of gossip, funny stories, the intimate confessions I can only share with those who really know me & love me anyway. I ponder on the things I know are happening in their life & stock my pantry with delicacies I know they like...& this is how I am learning to fellowship with God.

For me religion is not a crutch. I do not want comfort or platitudes. I do not like intellectual laziness or trite & easy answers to difficult questions. For far too long that was all I was offered & I threw God out with the religion that did not satisfy. Eventually I decided that even if God & religion was complete & utter hogwash the world was a better place for it than without it & began the long unravelling of dogma & tradition from the Truth of who God is & what He wants from us.

I will probably always struggle with organised religion. It frustrates me. God does not. His Truth is robust & I have been truly blessed. God has revealed enough of Himself that I truly hunger after Him. You can keep your religion. It is God I want. I don't want youth programs or parenting nights; I am over mission teas, pot luck suppers, & fellowship get togethers. I don't need 3 hymns & a 10 minute homily, church elections or crusades. I want to grow deep into God, like a Lebanon Cedar, rooted, firm, strong, not tossed about by any wind of chance as the times grow darker & the swirling eddies begin the slow sifting of wheat from chaff.

This is no time for shallow Christians. We are called upon to mature in the Faith. That requires we actually do some work. It begins with getting to know God. You know, I've heard Here I am. I stand at the door & knock quoted so often to non~believers & yet that quote was directed to believers in the church at Laodicea. Believers! How many Christians have shut God out, quite unintentionally, because they are busy with the trappings of religion & that has crowded out time for God alone? Seek ye first the Kingdom of God & His righteousness...God first. Everything else will then fall in to place.

11 comments:

Richele McFarlin said...

Wonderful post! I feel the call to dismiss organized religion and just rest in the Lord...learn the character of God...love his people and be who God wants me to be and not what a man says I should be. Great thoughts...thank you for sharing.

Amanda said...

oh Ganeida... I am extremely peeved! I had left a comment earlier on this post, and it seems it didn't make it to the finish line...

What I can remember saying, is Bravo! Amen!! and Hallelujah!!!

I especially shout an amen to the last paragraph in particular...

Amanda said...

ps... actually, make that the last 3 paragraphs. These are my heart too... but wait! there's more :P I love all of it and have so many thoughts and things I can say but I wouldn't know where to start and/or stop. Truly, I love this type of topic/post. Thank you and blessings!!

Amanda said...

correction, make that a hearty amen to the whole post. There is so much I could say and agree with, that I wouldn't know where to start and/or stop. I love these types of topics/posts and your thoughts resonate with me...

bless you and thank you :D

Amanda said...

Ganeida, lest you think I have gone mad and lost my mind LOL, I didn't see my comment appear, so kept remaking it (persistent aren't I?? LOL)... so please, delete the last or 2nd last comment so others don't think I have lost it too??! ;)

(I am having trouble tonight with blogger it seems...)

Ganeida said...

Richele:Nice to know others share my rambling thoughts. ☺

Amanda: I have been having trouble with blogger all week. Not sure that it will let me delete but you're no madder than the rest of us. ☺

seekingmyLord said...

Ganeida, you know that I am with you on this...wholeheartedly so. However, I think I am being called, of late, to engage and even promote such church social events because--well, I suppose that is what attracts people to the church and our church needs people. Actually, people need people and many of them need the religious rituals to help them ready their hearts and grow. The more mature Christians should be showing by example, teaching, and sharing their relationship with the Lord. You are right that "religion" is not providing this, but the church itself, that is the Lord's people, should be.

Ganeida said...

Seeking: of course you are right. My present hobby horse is the really poor teaching that has left God's people as sheep to be ravaged by wolves. They are weak & have no protection because the church has not been faithful in it's discipling. All these things require time & time is a commodity in short supply in the modern world. It takes time to know who is immature in the faith, who is strong in an area & who is weak. It takes time to teach new believers those things that will strengthen them & deepen their relationship with the Lord. We don't need more programs. We need more mature Christians who will make the time to grow on the newer believers. We need disciplers.

MamaOlive said...

Good post. I'd like things much better if we could just go to church, be handed a list of rules to follow, and know we were in. But you are right; it's the relationship that must come first, and I actually almost got that figured out the other day while scolding the children. We can DO all the right things, but if we've forgotten the reason, it doesn't do any good.

Allison said...

Beautiful.

Thank you.

Ganeida said...

MamaO: lol Love your last line. Oh, so true!

Allison: ☺ I know I can't be the only one who gets frustrated with where the church has ended up.