GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Thursday, June 24, 2010

It finally happened. I got the GPS lady so confused she said, " in one~quarter mile make a legal stop & ask directions". ~ Robert Brault.
The blue Barina arrived just in time. Our winter weather has turned bleak & miserable & I can assure you standing on the council jetty under the flimsy structure they deem a *shelter* & which shelters one from neither rain nor howling wind, is no fun at all. Even Ditz donned a skivvy last Wednesday.
Hoever it is not the weather that is bothering me. The public schools have just gone on holiday. Ditz will be working through hers to make up work sickness has put us behind on ~ & travelling. Yep, AVAE has extra rehearsals scheduled for the hols ~ & not locally either. I have no idea what we are rehearsing for but the kids need to lift their act & start nailing these works soon. Naturally Ditz is happy about this. The child who deems any academic work at all *boring* will happily bob up & down like a cork in stormy water singing scales & arpeggios & repeating the same passage over & over until it is exactly right, or, even harder for my ADD Ditz sitting still, silent & focused while the sopranos, who are younger & consequentially in need of a little more help, do the same thing. *sigh*

I'm only whinging about the driving. I am perfectly happy to sit quietly in an obscure corner with a good book letting beautiful music sung by well trained voices flow over me. More than happy. But let's face it, Ditz & I loose in Brisbane are not a good combination. Having set Ditz, who was responsible for getting us lost initially by insisting I needed to make a right turn when I thought we should go straight ahead & who was unusually wrong, to sign spotting last Monday, I then got directions like: "Left for the Gold Coast, straight ahead is, ~ look there's a cat ~ Have we got anything in here to eat? Why is that man waving at us? Do you know him? I forgot what right is but just keep driving straight ahead." No wonder my nerves unravel. It's a wonder I haven't turned to strong drink & a Bex! And Liddy laughs at us because she has some sort of internal map in her head that lets her know where she is. She is also the one who loses the plot fastest when things start going wrong; mostly because they rarely go wrong when Liddy is in charge of them. Ditz & I, well, we know it doesn't help if we start screaming at each other & one way or another we always seem to make it home. Now at least we have a car to make it home in.

9 comments:

seekingmyLord said...

Soooo, the little blue car is a mixed blessing. Who would have thought that? ;)

Mrs. Darling said...

Yep i get lost easily too and my GPS is too slow. What a granny! It talks to me after I've already made the wrong turn! Grrr!

Libby said...

I loved the begining qoute. Really it explains you so well!

Ganeida said...

Seeking: no, the car is an unmitigated blessing. We can always sleep in it. I'm about to get a couple of doonas & small pillows to stow in the boot for emergencies.

MrsD: I feel so much better knowing someone so competent also gets lost. ☺

Lid: Isn't that a great quote?! I couldn't believe it when I found it. Perfect.

Siano said...

The opening quote was great (sounds like something I'd do to a GPS), but the citation of human-generated directions was even better - cracked me up!

Mom said...

Love the quote too! That sounds like me and my husband. Scary. I have yet to drive through Auckland, because every time we go there to pick someone up from the airport he gets lost. I figure if he, a native, can't drive in Auckland than there is no hope for me. So, I have been dying to ask about the island...where is it and why do you live there? How many people live there? What does Dear do for a living? Nosey I know, but I am fascinated. If I could live on an island I would! Well, I mean a smaller island--than the North Island. ;-)

Ganeida said...

Siano: well, m'dear, you know us better than most so I'm sure you can imagine the circus!

Bonnie: I've done you a post all for your sweet self. ☺

Diane Shiffer said...

Love the quote of Ditz giving directions... hehehe.

Ganeida said...

Diane: unfortunately I'm not joking. That is exactly how she directs me. I will have acquired the patience of Job before we're done!