GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Friday, February 5, 2010

Doing the Wompoo Walk.

I shall meditate on your wonderous works... Pslam 119: 27Wednesday was fine. One day in a week when there are cyclones up north is pretty good so we made the most of it & headed up into the hinterland. We were headed for Monteville ~ land of the cuckoo clock & window shopping but the weather actually improved so we took a risk & headed to Mapleton Falls. Ditz & I haven't done any of these walks so it was something new.
We did the short circuit, the 45 minute Wompoo walk ~ well 45 minutes is what it said on the trail guide but I'm pretty sure we took longer than that. Ma might be good for an Olympic sprint around the circuit but Ditz & I are dodderers.
Mapleton is a mix of rainforest & wet eucalypt. We saw elkhorns completely circumnavigating tree trunks...


a baby goanna...



a green tree snake.. [well Ditz & I saw this; ma kept on a~walking ~ & no, they're not poisonous!]...




an Azure Kingfisher. It was a bit dark but typically he was perched on a low branch overhanging a pool hunting his lunch.





From the lookout there were sweeping views over the Obi Obi valley with the piling clouds promising even more rain. In early spring peregrine falcons nest on the cliff edges & we could hear the wompoo pigeons calling. I did spot a pigeon as we were leaving the rainforest but he was too camouflaged in the canopy for a real good look. Coming down the mountainside from Monteville the gathering clouds caste huge shadows across the hills & we could see scuds of rain falling out along the coast.

I don't mind the rain & it is why this whole area is almost always beautifully emerald green.








4 comments:

Allison said...

Wow, just beautiful.

I don't know what a goanna is, but I do approve of its dots and long claws.

Ganeida said...

Allison: a goanna is just a big lizard. Aboriginal word.

Sandra said...

Beautiful. I give you snow and you give me...this. I got the better deal!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
What a spectacular walk, and what a blessing to have your mum there with you. :D

Have a wonderful weekend,
Blessings,
Jillian