GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Monday, January 25, 2010

While I'm at it...

Good children's literature appeals not only to the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child. ?
Has anyone read these? I read a lot of these horsey type stories despite the fact I never ever wanted to own a pony. Lorna Hill does them a little better than average. She has the knack of creating extremely likable characters. Hill is, however, far better known for her Sadler Wells stories set in what became the Royal Ballet School & while I have read some of them I never found the characters as engaging as the *Patience* stories. Even so Lorna Hill is extremely readable ~ enough to have me chasing down 2nd hand copies of those of her books I truly enjoyed.

Elfrida Vipont is another favourite of mine though neither plot nor characterisation is as strong as Hill's work & nothing like as brilliant as Antonia Forest. Her characters, while likable enough, tend to be a little flat & two dimensional. What I do like about her work is she has a real feel in places for a *sense of place* & she conveys very well an understanding of Quakerism for children. There is a sense of *Quiet* about her work that seems sprung out of the very silence of Meeting. The other thing that has always attracted me to her work is that unlike many Christian children's authors she explores the issues of conflict between faith & Art, with a capital A. Many of her central characters have artistic tendencies ~ singers or actresses mainly~ & one thing the Arts definitely need more of are people of morals & faith. I find it particularly intriguing as for many years Quakers were very opposed to all the artistic endeavours ~ a theme partially developed in The Lark In The Morn.

Apart from Good Reads for reviews, sometimes, a site I return to again & again [these things take time & gosh have they been slow!] is GGB ~ who are busily, albeit slowly, republishing many terrific but out of print girl's book ~ & sometimes this one because they are doing the same thing.

6 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

Well, I haven't read those, although they do look appealing... and with your good will to recommend them, actually very appealing indeed.

I tend to gravitate to children's literature myself, especially when I am tired or want a bit of coziness in my reading material. I read a lot of Frances Hodgson Burnett when I was a child and I go back to her time and again. I mentioned Madeline L'Engle before- she's another favorite. The Narnia series, Little House series...oh my gracious So many wonderful books to choose from! Thank goodness there isn't an age limit on 'em;)

Britwife said...

I've never seen them...I don't know if we have them here in the States.
I was hooked on Trixie Belden as a child/pre-teen. She was sort of a Nancy Drew character - but more realistic (as she had siblings, a tomboy-ishness, and less money!)
I also loved the Anne of Green Gables series (so much so, that I traveled to P.E.I. to visit her haunts) and the Little House on the Prairie books (again, I've been to all the places).
I have only read the Narnia books now that I am an adult. (They ARE wonderful!)

Ganeida said...

Persuaded: I think you would adore Elfrida Vipont but these are English so I don't know how hard they'd be to get in the States.

Britwife: Trixie Belden I know. You wouldn't believe the stuff I read as a kid. I'm not actually a real big Narnia fan. I don't like talking animals ~ though goodness knows why. I talk to my cat enough ~ & he talks back!

Dianna said...

Oh, I love Goodreads. I'm completely addicted! I read far too much children's literature. Why not? It's usually fairly wholesome and enjoyable. I haven't seen the books you posted. :(

Jan Lyn said...

Ohhhh, I am going to have a look see for the Lark in the Morn-sounds like a good book for us girls here.
Thanks Ganeida.

Ganeida said...

MrsM: These are both English so you may need to hunt on~line. I don't know if they were ever released in the States.

Jan Lyn: Yes, the Quaker theme was always much of it's appeal. There is a whole series about the family & I have read lots of them ~ all good. I used to particularly look for *Quaker* books.