GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A little of nothing.


"'Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.' Abraham Lincoln"
Summer is our down time. We literally do very little. I very deliberately schedule nothing & allow long periods of time for watching movies, reading & playing on the computer because once we start most of our minutes are accounted for. Besides normally at this time of the year it is scorching hot, making it impossible to become overly enthusiastic about anything. We have been blessed this year with cooler temps & plenty of rain & I am just now, after close on 6 weeks, starting to feel like a normal person instead of the harried, frazzled, slightly demented being I feel for the better part of the year.

Life still does happen, albeit at a much slower pace. I took Dearest over to the mainland to renew his driver's licence. The motor registry is always packed like the proverbial sardine can meaning huge ques & long waits so it wasn't something either of us were looking forward to. It is always hard to cope with so much *people impact* when in your usual environment everyone gives you plenty of personal space though the *artificial environments* are a close second. Flickering fluros do nothing for either of us & the lack of greenery quickly has us soul hungry for the blue & green spaces of home. We see this in the kids too, even the boys who now live on the mainland. They come home & just sink into the natural spaces breathing deeply of those things not made of man that give respite to the soul.
Then our little home Church is doddering along though very quiet over the Christmas period & we have our regular readings on hold just now. Dearest has chosen some random readings & set me chasing down the Greek for the more difficult & obscure passages ~ which I happily did ~ only to find while I was pontificating away that a new member is a Classics & Literature scholar & his language is ancient Greek! I felt like a prize dork ~ but as he found nothing wrong with my scholarship & was able to clarify one or two points we had a very companionable time indeed. As it is the level of scholarship & teaching I struggle with so often in church it was a delight for me to to indulge in the exchange of ideas & thoughts in the way I was trained with someone who also instinctively thinks that way. Naturally we have read widely in the same areas & found plenty of common ground. To not have to backtrack to explain my sources each time I cross~referenced an argument was a simple pleasure too rarely experienced though I do have good Christian friends I go & rant to when I feel the need to have the old brain cells stimulated a little more than usual.

Then we spent an hour with the Beans because I had promised Little Miss Bean that Ditz & I would paint with her one day. We painted all right. Ditz got her hair painted & her face painted. The garage floor got painted. Beano paddled in the water & flooded the floor. We blew food dye round paper with straws & food dyed the floor. We made butterflies & did dot paintings & made an almighty mess that Mrs Bean is probably still trying to clean up though we did tidy up before we abandoned ship. I hope we get invited back after that.

We exchanged Dino for Theo. Same face, same activities & the fishy smell lingers. Meanwhile Dino rang with a list of crossword questions he was stuck on & rattled them off over the phone fully expecting mother to know all the answers. I'm amazing. Know them I did. I'm surprised he didn't ring his ma. Her vocab is as good as mine but her spelling is heaps better!

9 comments:

loving, laughing and learning said...

the baby beans both had long naps after their painting session so that is always a guranteed sign they had fantastic time. of course your welcome back, though next time i think we'll paint outside lol.

Siano said...

Yes; you are amazing :-) Glad (and amused) to hear you have a classical scholar on the island - never ceases to amaze me who ends up where :-)

Jeanne said...

Oh that sounds like a perfect summer to me! I'm jealous of the Beans because they know you irl! I would like to paint with you and Ditz too!

Ganeida said...

Mrs Bean: Yes, I think outside next time. We certainly spread.
Siano: Floored me. I was a little worried there.

Jeanne: lol You might change your mind when faced with the reality. Ask Mrs Bean what sort of a mess we made. lol

Anonymous said...

Hi Ganeida,
Our son is looking to take his licence test on Monday, and I'm not looking forward to the building either. :(

I'm not surprised that you knew all the crossword answers - your vocabulary is astounding. :)

Have a great week,
Blessings,
Jillian

Sandra said...

Love your masthead photo! I have been absent for awhile, so when I came online I came here first. You spun lovely images for me, as usual.

Ganeida said...

Jillian: at least son will be driving somewhere where he can't do much damage until he finds his feet. It so helped with Liddy & though she still doesn't like traffic she copes well.

Sandra: noticed you were MIA. Assumed the snow had done it's worst & you were busy. Happy Birthday BTW! ☺ Glad to see you back.

PS the header is the very first one I ever had [2 crashed blogs ago] & I still like it! ☺

Jan Lyn said...

Enjoy every minute while we are here in the thick of winter. The blowing paint through straws really brought me back to some good old days. What fun!

seekingmyLord said...

My, my! What a fun day, with face painting too! ;)

I certainly envy you having a Greek scholar close by. I would love the Princess to have access to someone like that as she seems to like her Greek lessons so far.