GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunday, Sunday

If you don't believe in ghosts, you've never been to a family reunion. ~Ashleigh Brilliant
For whatever reason I spend at least one day of our time at mum's in bed with a migraine. I haven't worked out what the trigger is. Travelling knocks me about & that's all I can think it would be. Whatever. I was in bed Saturday morning when the bunny arrived. My mother took us in for Easter even though she was leaving very early Sunday morning for a fortnight in Sydney catching up with lifelong friends ~ though that is sadly not always a joyous occasion these days. Friends are getting fewer each year & those that remain are not always in the best health. Hard on mum who is a robust & energetic 70 something & likely to outlive us all!


Mum's cat, Pixi, began displaying a range of psychotic behaviours at all the bags & it was showery ~ cold & showery. When I surfaced enough to be functional we dragged Liddy off her laptop & played Gin ~ which Ditz was winning consistently through the simple process of going out before anyone else could get their cards down on the table. So we changed the rules slightly, which made her think a little more & slowed her progress somewhat though poor old Lid kept getting the most atrocious hands while Ditz consistently got both jokers & I at least had the advantage of age.

Mum had organized some special treats, though because of Sunday's chaos we did them Saturday morning rather than Sunday. The girls are old enough to understand that it is the celebrating that is important, not the day. The craft group had made little knitted bunnies; the girls got one each while I got the mauve butterball who apparently begged mum to buy him. As my mother is not given to impulse buys he's rather a surprise but very cute & he came home with me. Dark chocolate too! mmmm. image:MYSA

We were out of the house before 9 on Sunday giving mum a chance for some peace & quiet & a quick tidy up before a neighbour drove her to the airport, Pixi crying bereftly as she drove away. Most of the traffic was coming north; the school holiday crowd I'm guessing.
Liddy has seriously wanted to detour out to Bribie for years & years so this time we did. It started well. The first thing we saw as we crossed the Bridge was the model yatch club racing on a pond. We bailed out of the car to watch & chat with the competitors.
We then began hitting the beaches. Serious disappointment. The water was shark territory ~dark & murky, churned up by the rain, big seas & gale force winds the previous week. Nor were the parks particularly attractive though we appreciated the effort the council had made to ensure the foreshore was public property & not cluttered with either private housing or high rise apartments.
We drove round for a bit but Bribie is great for young families; lots of child friendly parks with great play equipment, safe beaches & plenty of close parking but not what Liddy had been expecting or hoping for so we kept on coming down the coast. Close to home we stopped for lunch & headed to a movie [Race to Witch Mountain ~ a Ditz pick] but Liddy was heachachy by then & disappointed with her day so we just came on home after the movie & a good thing. She's working today.
We were just about to have tea when the phone rang ~ my mother checking that we had arrived where we should be safely & letting us know we didn't have to worry about her either. All's well.





6 comments:

Molytail said...

Pixi looks a lot like Angel, our grey one - she's Blair's sookie babe, though he'd never tell anyone. Big tough guy can't have a sookie cat, now can he. *grin*

Would it surprised you if I said I think sharks are pretty dang awesome? :-P

Cindy wants to see that movie too - I told her I want to rent the old ones first so she can see what those were like...showed her a few pics online and she wrinkled up her nose and said it looked old LOL

(This, from the kid who watched The Sound of Music with me recently and loved it LOL)

A. said...

You look like your mother!

Isn't Australia known for their sharks? The big, aggressive ones, specifically?

MamaOlive said...

As exciting as trips away are, it's always good to be back home.

Too bad about the weather (and the migraine).

Anonymous said...

Migraines are no fun, but I have found that one of the triggers is dark chocolate.

Oh, by the way, I have tagged you for a meme, that is if you have time.

Ganeida said...

Moly; I know how you feel about sharks ~ I just like them to stay away from me. lol. And we like the Sound of Music too.

Allison: yes we are home to great whites & tigers & several other of the more aggressive species of shark ~ which is why I don't like getting in the water round here. ;)

MamaO: I'm always pleased to get home; my cat loves me.

HSmum: I've heard that ~ only I hadn't had any chocolate & I've checked & it's actually not a trigger for me. Stress is & my hormones used to, cashews sometimes, red wine definitely! lol. I don't like red wine so I'm all good with that one.
I'll pop along for the meme seeing as we're on holidays.

Britwife said...

Ok, now I am laughing, because I realize that you were CRYING at "Race to Witch Mtn"?! :)
I saw that with my oldest daughter and her slumber party crew....and nope, I didn't cry (at the credits either!)
I think it's cute that your mom calls to check on you girls. That's great (and very loving). It's good to be loved.