GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's raining, it's pouring...

I love the rain. I want the feeling of it on my face. Katherine Mansfield
It's wind I don't like. The wind started last night. I know. I could hear Dino's boat labouring across the bay & the boys'd left the house lit up like a Christmas tree so they had a marker in the dark.

I lay in the warm dark listening to the howl of the wind & the lash of rain thundering across our tin roof waiting tensely for the sound of the motor as the boys returned, drenched, not even having been able to find their buoys in the pitch dark & driving rain, let alone a crab pot.

All day the rain fell steadily but the wind abated. When I ducked out for Liddy at 4pm there was 6'' in the gauge & the area around the fire pit was 2'' under water. I waded across it ankle deep & the roads were awash. The tires had no grip at all & I warned Liddy to take it easy as she got behind the wheel.By the time we got home it was nearly dark. Issi spent the day curled up beside me. Every so often he'd stretch out a languid paw to pat me. Not sure who he was reassuring, me or himself.

Further north there was flash flooding & townships cut off by rapidly rising water. For some this is the second time they've been flooded out in 6 weeks. Oh my!

And in other news: a hat tip to the socceroos who look like they've clinched a place in the world cup finals ~ or very nearly. Sorry guys, the whole house bar Dearest, who is a league man, is soccer mad & yes we get up at unbelievable hours to watch teams we don't know, from countries we've never heard of, play. Put it down as a geography lesson.


7 comments:

MamaOlive said...

I grew up in "flash flood" country - where we'd get no rain for 4 months, and then get several inches in a few hours. You don't know if you should be glad of the rain or dread it.
Strangely enough, I never minded walking in the rain. Cold, windy rain is a bit different though.

Molytail said...

Would you believe I miss the wind from back home? It was always windy on the island - here, it's eerily calm most of the time.. and I do love a good rainstorm... I'm looking forward to later Spring here, when the big nasty thunderstorms come along...

Diane Shiffer said...

oh my goodness.. all that rain sounds dangerous! and liddy drove in it?

when i read your post title, i thought: oh yes, we've had lots of rain too. but not like that- not like yours!

and soccer? i'm sorry missie, but here is where we must part ways. i am most definitely NOT a sporty gal (i find it interferes with the maintainance of my girlish figure;))

Constance said...

You've been busy lately! I am playing a little catch up today with some of my blogger friends.

I have been fortunate in that I haven't lost a parent yet. Dave lost his mother 2+ years ago and his father isn't doing well. His health (emphysema) has really escillated and it's as if he has no reason to live, he's just existing. I don't like to think of outliving Dave, I can't imagine a life that doesn't have him in it day to day. You're right though, some people retreat so deeply within their grief that they're never heard from again.

I love the rain, probably because we don't get enough of it. I'd feel differently I'm sure, if that weren't the case!

Charlie played soccer, his first year of high school he was a goalie. Dave even played many years ago. My menfolk are HOCKEY fanatics. They love to watch the games and root for our home team the Dallas Stars. They are fun, fast=paced games, even I enjoy them.
Connie

Sandra said...

I can picture your storm in my mind. Your photos help! We get violent storms here and they make me nervous. Tornados are a frightening thing.

seekingmyLord said...

Wind. Since I was a yound child I have dreamed of tornado chases--only I am the one being chased!

Anonymous said...

I would die for 6" of rain at the moment! We haven't had any rain here for the last three months, but we haven't had any decent amount of rain for about four months.

Please, please, please send us some down here?