GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Completely random.

Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow. Dirk Benedict
The Man of the House likes his creature comforts. In fact I don't know any animal that can relax as completely as a cat. It is a gift to be sure. With the boys home he expects fresh seafood to be on hand constantly. I don't do seafood unless it comes in a can. A can is not what Issi has in mind. Like he's starved, poor thing!

Liddy has a couple of really big days ahead of her ~ bigger than big & a long drive to finish it off. It is so strange to have a house full of young adults again. Mostly Liddy & Ditz are very quiet, which the boys are not, & into sharing things like chick flicks & chocolate. I can handle chick flicks & chocolate. At present I want to leave home. My house sinks like the local fishery & it is not a smell I enjoy.
Ditz, finally, thank goodness, has wrapped up her term's work. It is labeled & enveloped & about to leave in the post. We had tears before we were done with the science. Why on earth anyone insists kids not gifted in an area persist once they have the basics I do not know! Trust me; Ditz is not gifted in math or science. English & even history, is another matter despite her fusses. I am about to make another shift in her curriculum because she does really enjoy home economics.

I have looked at this curriculum several times & think it is the one I will go with if I can find an Australian supplier. Cooking Ditz does enjoy & she has asked about sewing. While I can sew my mother, being an excellent seamstress herself & something of a perfectionist, has always put me off doing much along those lines & teaching my girls. Silly I know but I'm going to try & overcome it. Math & science practically applied! Seriously. I have a girly~girl. Her eyes glaze over when anything involves chemistry or physics that doesn't blow up. Even my Dearest can see we are fighting a losing battle in this area & is looking at a more *applied* approach to the sciences. Frankly I wouldn't let someone who thinks like Ditz anywhere near a spaceship. She argued for 20 solid minutes that being half an inch out would not cause a shaceship orbiting earth to moon & back to miss the mark. Angles. Even I can see how this one works. Not Ditz. She stopped arguing in the end but I don't think she believes me. Okaaay....

9 comments:

seekingmyLord said...

(giggles)

So how does a spaceship *orbiting* the earth get to the moon?

(Perhaps the science has you both burned out.)

Britwife said...

Isn't it amazing at how different siblings can be from one another? My oldest two are quiet and soft spoken, studious and more serious. The youngest two are happy-go-lucky and LOUD. Really. Really. Loud.
And - wow! Your girls sure do look alike! I thought the top photo was Ditz, and then I read more and saw that it was Liddy. What pretty girls!
Congrats to both you and Ditz for finishing your term. Ditz isn't alone in not understanding the half an inch and spaceship analogy. It took me a few minutes of serious thought before I got it too.

Ganeida said...

seeking: I said orbiting earth to moon. Have I not said what I meant? That'd be right. I am soo tired.

Britwife: I only get this because I saw it done. lol. Luckily for the world neither Ditz nor I earn our keep by science & math.

Diane Shiffer said...

ooh, that home ec curriculum looks interesting! what is it exactly, may i ask?

not that i have anyone here that could use it, you understand.. but it still looks interesting. to me;)

Liss said...

I choose not to sew for the very same reasons. My mum is also an excellent sewer and I hope she passes her skills onto my daughter.

Ditz doesn't have to worry to much as it not every day that we need to use spaceship coordinates.

Sandra said...

Hurrah, the term is done! We all appreciate the fact that Ditz will not be designing for NASA. : ) When I was a girl I had to take home ec and I hated it. Since you do this at home, the family will benefit from her efforts. ; )

MamaOlive said...

I *think* that's the home ec course I bought and stored safely away... Maybe I could "supply" you with it, since it isn't getting any use. Tell me the publisher and I'll go check my shelf.

"Orbiting" is going in circles around the earth. You can't get to the moon unless you leave the orbit. :-)

Ganeida said...

Hi Liss & welcomwe to my madhouse.

Sandra: I'll just bet you appreciate it. The havoc that girl could wreck!

She does a lot of the desserts round here as it is & the boys are in the habit of *leaning* on her to ensure something sweet comes their way.

MamaO: thank you for clarifying. The trouble with being English not math oriented is the way I use words. Orbit just means to go around & one can go around two or three objects as well as one. It never occured to me in a scientific sense the meaning narrowed down rather. Just as well I'm not designing for NASA either.;)

The publishers of the curric are Christian Light Publications; Mennonite I think.

Persuaded: The home ec covers cooking & sewing & some character

Jan Lyn said...

Congratulations on the finishing of your term! Your daughters are so beautiful. Mine are as different from one another as can be and I find it intriguing and only natural. I don't know anything about that particular Home Ec course, but we used Pearables this year, especially since my oldest started in grade 7 I figured it would be a requirement if in the public schools here. We eventually went out on it on our own, but it was a good way to start. I'm fortunate to have my mother teaching the girls sewing periodically as while I can do it, I don't like to! :) Cooking, sewing and household management is really as important in many ways as academics..it's a good hands on vacation from the books for us at times too. I'll be interested to hear about it if you use it next term.
Thanks too, for your very kind comments in my very blunt and honest blog lately. They are much appreciated. Bless your family......