GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Raise the white flag.

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Farmers' Almanac


The Government stimulus package came through today. We used some of it to buy Dearest a computer. I want Dearest's computer. Liddy & I went into town to the Government recycling shop because Government departments buy new computers every 2 years & there is nothing wrong with the old ones. Mostly they are hardly used at all. Flat screen, horizontal tower, great graphics & cheap, cheap, cheap...*sigh*

The thing with computers is that they are great...until they don't work. O.K, not going there. I can screw up a computer faster than just about anyone I know ~ with one or two exceptions. Mine, which is old & well used & has absolutely everyone's junk clogging up it's memory, has just had a face lift. I missed it. I get pretty good graphics on mine. I'm used to it's quirks. My keyboard abandoned the letter T some time ago. I know to go back & check I have all my Ts. I have a great collection of pics which I really should move to Photobucket & the novels I've never got round to backing up on something because, frankly, I don't know how to do that. So when my computer went down it took lots with it ~ including Ditz's notes on Hitler. She had hopes of never seeing those again.

Liddy & I hate buying computers. The guys in the shop are smarmy & they wear funny shoes. We are highly suspicious of those shoes. They think we don't know what we're doing [which is true] & are an easy mark [which we're not.] When in doubt walk away. They are so terrified of losing a sale they'll do just about anything. We're formidable. When in doubt we refer the salesperson to the other one of us. He never knows who he's trying to sell to. Yes, I know. It's mean but what's a girl to do?

We decided on a computer. We avoided all the extras Dearest doesn't want & we didn't want to pay for & asked for a graphics card because Dearest wants the computer to check his stamps for flaws. We won't go into how dull we all think that is. We agreed on a very reasonable price which was about midway on what we were prepared to pay & we waited while the computer was secreted away into a back room to get its graphic card installed. Some time later we learnt the computer we had chosen would not take the graphic card. We got a much better tower & monitor for the same price so they could install the graphics card. Their mistake so we just smiled sweetly. In my case I just smiled vaguely. I had no idea what the chappie was rabbiting on about & had to have it all explained to me later by Liddy who, at the time, just hissed, ' Nod & say yes,' so I nodded & said yes.

Dearest is very happy with his new toy. Liddy hardly got lost at all, didn't travel the wrong way down a one way street even once & crossed none of Brisbane's dozen bridges heading for the closest water... all in all a very successful day.

7 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

you can tell a lot about an individual by their shoes.

at least that's what i *always* say!

tell liddy i greatly admire her driving skills;)

Sandra said...

Yes you can. You can tell I work in a barn by my footwear! My computer crashed in the Aug. 2007. I was able to have everything retrieved, luckily. I replaced it with a Macintosh, which I love. I know the feeling of getting something you really like.

A. said...

What kind of shoes do they wear? Now I'm intensely curious!

I'm to opposite with computers, I think. I purchase a computer just as I purchase a sandwich, picking and choosing which options I want and then completing the whole transation in 20 minutes.

My last 3 have been Dells, and I've been happy with all of them. I and a former roommate both had Compaqs - idential laptops - and both overheated to the point where they would burn the lap. Which make "laptop" an oxymoron. She filed a class-action lawsuit against HP, and had so much fun with it she decided to go to law school with me.

Allison

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! I wear Z-Coil shoes with springs in the heel. What does that say about me??

The HoJo's said...

Would you think better of me if I were wearing my pink pixie boots or my flip flops, I can change them as it suits my mood :o)
hurrah for the computer, mystified at the stamp analyzing, I'll take your word on that one

xc

Ganeida said...

Heidi I have no idea what z~coils are! They sound scary.

Hojo's, either or in Oz. Nothing at all odd about *your* footwear! ;}

Alison: Brown leathers with jeans & an open necked shirt. The shoes were decorated with buckles & bows; I kid you not! They were also very grubby. It was beyond geekiness & into the realms of plain scary

Destination...Gloryland! said...

Zcoil.com They are goofy, I know. But they are the most comfortable shoes that I've found so far.