GANEIDA'S KNOT.

Go mbeannai Dia duit.

About Me

My photo
Quaker by conviction, mother by default, Celticst through love, Christ follower because I once was lost but now am found...

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Food, glorious food, persimmons, mangoes & ginger.

When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three years you are to consider it forbidden; it must not be eaten. In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering ofpraise to the Lord. But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the Lord your God. - Leviticus 19:23-25



Fruit is the glory of the plant kingdom. In bud the trees are a nimbus of delicate blossom. In fruit they feed the hungry with sweetness. The best of them gracefully shed their foliage in Autumn & winter naked reveal a dazzling beauty in simplicity of line. The Persimmon meets all these requirements except edibility. I have only met one other fruit I dislike more. Pawpaws are just gross. Persimmons will grow here in the Mountain hinterlands though I am still trying to work out why anyone would want to. Granted the tress are strikingly beautiful but the fruit is a squishy disaster. Eeew!




So here are some more of the summer fruits we enjoy ~ or not in my case.



Pawpaws will, unfortunately, grow at the drop of a seed. Everyone grows pawpaws. They don't take up much room being a smallish tree that grows palmlike & bunches its fruit along the stem. This is the fruit most likely to be given away. Everyone might grow them but very few people actually like them. I can't get past the smell, which always reminds me of the local tip on a particularly fetid day.


Custard apples also fall into the *eeew* basket. The tress are gorgeous being low & spreading but the fruit is peculiar. The outer skin is rough & coarse like an alligator skin. Cut open the white flesh flakes like certain types of fish. I can't get past that & the big black seeds in the centre.



Mango trees are fantastic. The flush of new leaf growth each year is a deep & vibrant red. A mature tree is a deep pool of cool shadow on a hot summer's day where the mosquitoes like to congregate in dense black clouds. The pendulous fruit glints under the leaves like golden suns. They have a huge seed in the centre & children will happily suck the discarded stones rejected by adults. The fruit is a rich orange colour. They are the smell of a Queensland summer.



Ginger I do like. The smell where it's grown...mmmmm! We pass paddock after paddock of the plants each time we travel to my mother's. There is a large ginger factory nearby & a visit is always worthwhile. I forget how many varieties of ginger can be grown; I have several myself in the garden, but the sweet Sharp taste, the rich heady scent, is delicious. The plants also grow a variety of exotic flowers. I like my ginger pickled & topping grainy toast spread with cream cheese.
The other thing we see plenty of when we travel north is the cane fields. Cane provides the bulk of our sugar plus molasses & syrup. I remember watching the cane cutters harvest, circling inwards round a paddock so that everything that had been sheltering in the fields was huddled at the centre until finally flushed out there would be a swarm of snakes, mice, rats & other small wildlife. At the finish the cane fields would be burnt & the air would smell of the burnt toffee smell of burning cane. The sky glowed like a burning coal, heavy with smoke. The fires would last for days, blackening the sky.
Lychees are something else that grows well here. Each year we used to help harvest the lychees on the farm down the road & always had lychees for Christmas. The outer husk is thin & dry & quite brittle. The white inner flesh is grape like with a huge centre seed. They are a bit too sweet for my taste but I will eat them.


I have saved the best for last; avocados! The little *alligator pears* have a delicate nutty flavour & a smooth, rich texture. The seeds aren't as big & difficult either. There are lots of good ways to eat these: as guacamole dip; with vinegar & cracked black pepper; with sour cream & brown sugar; spread on grainy toast & lightly seasoned with tomato sauce. The really brave spread their toast with Vegemite & top it with avocado. When we first moved to the island there were so many different varieties to choose from, all free on the abandoned farms, that we actually got a little tired of avocados.
Being sub~tropical we get a glut of fruit pretty much all year round but unfortunately I've never really developed a taste for the tropical fruits so readily available all around us. What I like are cold climate fruits: raspberries [my favourites], nectarines & peaches, kiwi fruit & a close second, dark cherries like drops of blood.

















10 comments:

Molytail said...

It's my day for learning things - I had no idea that ginger came from such a prety plant! I've seen the lumpy bumpy brown ginger, of course, but I guess I never thought about the plant!

I used to despise ginger - well, except gingerbread cookies. The place I used to get veggie sushi from always put this pickled ginger in the container and it tasted like soap! ....but, I've been drinking this Gingerbread latte out here (from Starbucks) and they put "crystalized ginger bits" on top....they're growing on me. :-)

I've only had avacado in it's guacamole form - loved it!

I think I tried a mango once...can't remember for certain...

I've never had a "pawpaw" (nor heard them called that) ....or the custard apple - in fact, I've never seen that one...sorta reminds me of a pineapple...never had a persimmon either...

The lychee, I *have* gotten to try - yummy little things!

Where we live right now, the fresh fruit selection is...ummm....isn't. Expensive and sad looking bits of fruit are available in the grocery stores, but they're flown in from wherever and....blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Better than nothing, I guess....the bananas aren't bad....

*babble babble*

Molytail said...

Oh and I don't know if one can eat sugar cane before it's become....well, other stuff...but I'm sure I would if I could. Sugar and I are friends! *grin*

Ashley Dumas said...

Mmmm...
Even to think about mangos makes my mouth water. I need to agree that I don't like pawpaws much and Lychees are way to sweet for me i won't eat a bite! But my mom will. I have never tried avocados. (Blush) My mom buys them a lot but i never try them.
Thankyou!
SiennaSunshine:)

Ganeida said...

moly: you make me laugh girl! Sugar cane can be eaten before it becomes pure sugar. You bend & squeeze the cane stem until you get the juice but it's too much for me & I *like* sugar! I think they've done something strange to your ginger over there. [I keep telling you you should move here! :)] Ginger should *bite*. Despite it's sweetness there should be a real sharpness of taste.

Sienna: I'm not real adventurous with food though I've got a bit better as I've got older. I don't even eat watermelon & pineapple. :( However I've tried frogs legs [once. at a French restraunt because I was studying French] & I like escargot. ]I gross out my girls by telling them how the little horns waggle about in the garlic sauce:)]I think the oddest thing I've tried was when I was in Fiji. They grow something called breadfruit which doesn't tast of anything much.

Molytail said...

here is the soapy tasting ginger that they put with the veggie (and non-veggie) sushi....I can't think of anything other than soap! (it's "pickled ginger") ....

oooo....someday I'll have to find myself some sugar cane. I have a bit of a..thing..for sugar LOL....this Christmas, Diane and Norm gave me a big container of salt water taffy, tagged "from the tooth fairy" *grin*


I had frog legs once, as a kid (I became a vegetarian in my early teens) ...seems to me they tasted like chicken bits, deep fried like that too, they were....

Back home (can't get it here) a common snack is dulse ...yum. That exact brand, I bought quite a few times....

kimba said...

Dulse is apparently a kind of seaweed. I dont know about Canada but in the USA I think Pawpaw is called Papaya. I agree Pickled Ginger can taste soapy.

Molytail said...

Yep, it is indeed seaweed - dried and salty, a lovely snack (or some like it in salads and such) ....and yep, it's papaya here as well. :-)

Ganeida said...

I would agree frogs legs taste a bit like sweet chicken but your ginger should never taste *soapy*. yuk! I've had dulse in Japanese soup. A little is *bearable*. Some seaweeds actually taste quite fishy to me & I don't like fishy things.

Kimba: pawpaw & papya, while similar, are not the same thing, though lots of people use the terms interchangeably. For one thing papya tastes better.:) Pawpaw ~ genus Carica, native to Mexico is our pawpaw. North America: genus Asimina, has oval leaves & funny shaped fruit. That's as much as I know. They may be related in the plant world. Is that what the genus means?

A. said...

I am so jealous! I covet your avocados. They are my favorite! I eat several week. Plus, I do approve of the name "alligator pear."

Allison

Ganeida said...

lol *Alligator Pears* are one of the small varieties out here.